I love a carrot cake, but Ive been put off in the past by complicated recipes with lots of ingredients and preparation. This recipe is very simple- you don't even need a mixer, just a bowl and a good old wooden spoon to stir. You do need to grate the carrots but its worth it!
- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 400g caster sugar
- 350ml vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 350g grated carrots (about 4 medium carrots)
- 120g chopped walnuts
- Cream cheese icing
- 225g cream cheese
- 110g margarine, softened
- 450g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
The mixture looks quite gloopy - don't worry! this is normal! There is also alot of sugar, you can halve the amount for a less sweet cake (I dont!)
its important to use full-fat cream cheese for the icing; if you use a low-fat version, the icing will just run off the cake.
Prep:30min › Cook:30min › Ready in:1hr
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease one 23cm round cake tin
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon and sugar.
- Add the oil and eggs, mix until blended, then stir in the carrots and nuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes in the preheated oven - check after 30 minutes. A skewer inserted into the cake should come out clean.
- Cool cake on a wire racks before removing from the tin.
- To make the icing: In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese, add the sugar and cream well. Stir in the vanilla. Use to top the cooled cake.
Prepare and serve your bakes beautifully -
We have the perfect tools to prepare and present your bakes
Cool your cakes with Our brass wire cake rack SHOP HERE
Measure perfectly with our porcelein measuring spoons - SHOP HERE
Present your bakes beautifully on our Enamel Cake Stand SHOP HERE
Slice up and serve your bakes with our gorgeous cake slice SHOP HERE