I'm always looking for new recipe ideas for mid week meals, otherwise I'm tempted to stick to the same tried and tested recipes every week, which can ge a bit boring! And I'm really keen to find meat free ideas which everyone will enjoyl And you know me, I don't do complicated cooking. - it has to be quick and easy. My friend sent me this recipe which I've tweaked slightly to make it even simpler.
It's great for entertaining too as you can increase the quantity really easily. Just prepare everything and leave it gently simmering until its time to serve.
I have to say we tried it this week and it was so delicious!! I made it all on the hob and the only time was chopping the vegetables.
300g butter beans (I used tinned)
small bunch of parsley chopped
large sprig of dill, stems and fronds separated
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion finely choppd
2 large carrots, thinly sliced
2 celery sticks, sliced
3 garlic gloves, crushed
400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp chili powder or flakes
100g feta cheese , chopped
200 ml vegetable stock or boullion
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion, carrots and celery, cover the pan and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes or until softened. Stir regularly.
2. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute, then stir in the tomates, oregano and chili. Season to taste with salt and pepper
3. add the beans, and stir gently to mix in with the rest of the ingredients. Stir in the stock. Finely chop the parsley and dill and add.
4. Raise the heat to a low boil to reduce some of the liquid, then pop on a lid and cook on a low heat for an hour (I left mine simmering all afternon - just keep checking and giving a gentle stir)
5. Add the feta cheese on the top for the last 10 minutes or so
Serve with a salad, or like I did with Greek style potatoes